In January 2001, grassroots activists from all over the world gathered in Brazil to counter the Davos economic summit. The goal was to craft a peoples’ agenda for the world instead of a corporate agenda. The World Social Forum was born. Since then, the annual gathering has served as a vital opportunity to build community and resistance.
Now this movement is coming to Canada. On August 21-24 thousands of Canadians gathered in Ottawa for the first national Peoples’ Social Forum.
But the convergence is not just happening in Ottawa. Regional forums have been happening all over the country to build grassroots capacity where it is needed most.
On September 19-21, the Saskatchewan Peoples’ Social Forum will build links between groups and social movements in Saskatchewan. The event will be taking place at the University of Regina and will feature educational workshops, networking opportunities and action planning.
We will cover issues ranging from privatization and attacks on public services, environmental issues like the Energy East Pipeline, Indigenous Rights, and how we can build progressive communities in Saskatchewan.
The anchor groups for the Saskatchewan Planning Committee are the Council of Canadians, Clean Green Regina and Mother Earth Justice Advocates. Organizers are involved from a variety of organization included CUPW, Waterwatch, Next Up, CUPE National, SCIC and RPIRG.
Where you come in
In order for this event to be a success, we need support from activists and organizations from around the province. Please consider getting involved shaping and participating in the Forum.
- Host a Workshop: If you are interested in hosting a workshop, please fill out the form here: https://sasksocialforum.wordpress.com/programming/. Deadline for submissions in August 30.
- Promote the Peoples Social Forum: Please share the world about the People Social Forum. You can circulate an email to your contact list, share on facebook or put up a poster in your workplace.
- Register to attend: Registration for this event is a sliding scale of $10-$25, but no one will be turned away due to lack of finances. We will also have travel subsidies available for those who need it. Register here: https://sasksocialforum.wordpress.com/register-now/
- Volunteer: The Peoples’ Social Forum is a grassroots, volunteer driven initiative. We need all the help we can get! If you are interested getting more involved, please go to: https://sasksocialforum.wordpress.com/volunteer/
- Donate: We are looking to raise $5,000 to cover the costs of hosting the Saskatchewan Forum. Any help is appreciated.